Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What if it was Me

Car idling, I was impatiently waiting for the left lane turn arrow to change from red to green. I needed to make a U-turn so that I could get into the Wendys parking lot. I stared blankly out the window, trying to decide exactly what to order for myself and my boyfriend when I saw a tall African American man walking up the median to stand next to my car.

He was tall and very thin. The kind of thin that people do not choose to be. His shirt was ripped, and dirty. His jeans were frayed at the bottom. He held a sign that read, "Hungry and in Need, ANYthing helps."

He looked like he was my age...

Without realizing what I was doing I rolled down my window. I told him to meet me in the Wendys parking lot, and that I would be right there. He nodded, and limped across the three lanes on University Boulevard, watching as I made the U-turn I had originally been so irritated to make.

I parked and got out of my car. I looked at him and smiled, he held the door open. We walked into an almost deserted restaurant. There was one man ordering at the counter and two girls running the register. We waited in line for a moment; I looked up at the menu while he looked at me. I suddenly became very aware of exactly how tall and thin he was. He stood three feet away from me and I knew it had been weeks since he had showered.

I turned and asked, "What's your name?"
He slowly replied, "Dean."
Wondering if that was his real name, given our proximity to Dean Road, I smiled anyway and continued, "I'm Sarah. Nice to meet you."
He nodded.

I ordered a meal for myself, a meal for my boyfriend, and a meal for Dean. I had mine packed to go, as I was already late meeting my boyfriend. But asked that Dean's be for here, figuring he would want to sit in the air conditioning while he ate. After I paid the $16 bill, I walked away from the counter to get napkins. Making my way back to the counter, I realized Dean had asked for his order be changed to "to-go" as well.

We left the restaurant; Dean held the door.

I said, "It was nice to meet you, Dean."

He nodded.

I got in my car and Dean walked away.

I again found myself waiting for the left lane turn arrow to change from red to green. Only this time I felt an indescribable heaviness weighing on me. I watched Dean walk across the six lanes of University Boulevard, and into the forest that sat on the other side.

The light turned green, and I began to cry.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking time to do good! Each small step we make leads toward change! I carry food in my car. A hot meal is a treat! I love how your chronicled your day here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah you're such a sweet person! It is so nice to know that there are still good people in this world. I've occasionally given homeless people food, but it's amazing that you went to the extent to have him go into the restaurant with you and asked what his name is. This made me want to go do a good deed :)
    -Coral

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to comment on your blog because I think what you did for that man was amazing. I wish there were more people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, that was so touching! .You were at the right place at the right time, and served a divine purpose.That was really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, that was incredible! We need more people like you to do these kinds of deeds more often.

    ReplyDelete