Sunday, September 14, 2014

Introduction

Hello blog-readers, as you have probably figured out by now, my name is Sarah Ann! I am a student at the University of Central Florida and am currently pursuing a bachelors degree in secondary English education. Having always had a passion for education, reading, and helping others, I knew from a very young age that becoming a teacher is what I am meant to do.

I am a native to Orlando, Florida and am proud of it. I love the sunshine (and ironically the rain), the beaches, and the theme parks (excluding Disney World). However, I make sure that I make my rounds of the theme parks on Sundays because I spend a good majority of my Saturdays watching college football... GO Knights! In addition to football I love watching, playing, and coaching volleyball. Although, my most recent athletic adventure is in the form of tennis lessons, which I hadn't taken part in since I was in elementary school, but hey, you're never too old to learn!

The way I see it, when a person is able to find what they are passionate about in life, then why not dive in head first?! As a future educator this is exactly my plan, I want to experience and learn as much as possible. My goal is to be the kind of teacher and role model that I would want my future children to have. Learning is a life long process, so why not make it as fun and exciting as possible? I want to open the doors of reading to students that thought they would never pick up a book on their own, and I want to encourage the budding writers (and non-writers) in my class to think outside of the box.

I have big plans and even bigger dreams that I plan on fulfilling throughout my lifetime, but if I can make a difference in just one student's life, than that will be my ultimate accomplishment.

5 comments:

  1. Sarah-I am a native Floridian too, but not from Orlando. I love your passion that you have shared in this post and I love how you are striving to still learn. Tennis is a great sport, especially to work off some steam. I am introducing my daughter to it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Scanlon,
      I hope that your daughter has fun with her tennis lessons! It is such a great sport, and really anyone of any age or ability can play it!
      - Sarah

      Delete
  2. Sarah,

    I love your attitude about learning, especially in regards to the tennis lessons. It's always fun to learn something new or relearn something. What inspired you to try tennis again? Are volleyball and tennis the only sports you play?

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      My Mom is a huge tennis fan/player. She started taking lessons when I did (back when I was nine) and has never stopped since then. So she has a good eleven years of experience on me! I have always loved the sport as well, we watch a lot of tennis on tv and have been to the U.S. Open in New York to watch it live as well. It is a great sport for people of all ages and abilities. However, it wasn't until this summer that I had time to pick my racket back up and get back on the court!

      Volleyball and tennis are the only sports I play, but I love watching football and I do like to play flag football recreationally. I will basically try any sport, I am very very competitive, so even if I don't know how to play I like to learn and give it a try! What about you? Do you play any sports?

      - Sarah

      Delete
  3. Sarah,
    Your words always inspire me! I love the outlook that you have on life; that dreams can come true and that anything is possible! You're such an interesting person, inside and out. I enjoyed reading about your day to day activites; they really highlight your personality as a Floridian. I have no doubt that you will be an amazing teacher one day! Continue to follow your heart...you will do wonderful things in life!
    -Iris Sanchez.

    ReplyDelete