Sunday, November 30, 2014

Argument Writing

For my second professional text of the semester, I chose to read Teaching Argument Writing: Grades 6-12 by George Hillocks, JR. I chose this particular text because I remember that I liked to write argumentative papers when I was in school, and I wanted to know more about how to teach argumentative writing. Additionally, educators know that in the state of Florida, the new standardized writing exam (the FSA) may come in the form of an argumentative prompt; I thought that this book would be most appropriate for a pre-service teacher. But even more important than teaching students how to write to complete a standardized exam, is teaching students how to formulate a real and concise argument and be able to support that argument; the real world is difficult to navigate, but with the tools to support oneself (through argument or not) make it a much easier ride.

Hillocks believes that argument should be set up and taught using the following steps:

1) View the situation
2) Create a claim based on the situation
3) Add supporting evidence based around the claim
4) Create a warrant connecting the claim to the evidence
5) Find the rebuttal or counterclaim for the stated claim

While the above steps may seem to be simple or some may even say "obvious" I think that it is brilliant. A part of argument that is very rarely taught (or used) is that of finding the counterclaim or rebuttal against your own argument. Or in other words... viewing the argument from both sides.

What?! You mean that I do not have to metaphorically "stick to my guns" and scream my argument until the other side gives up?!

No you don't! This was my "aha" moment. Students need to be able to view an argument from both sides. The skill to view a problem, argument, or opinion from both sides (a skill that many adults lack) is one that will propel the student as a writer and a person to be well-informed and reasonable. Additionally, being able to find counterclaims and rebuttals will create a stronger argument for the writer!

I found this book to be very enlightening and engaging... Hillocks is one funny guy. The different lesson plans or classroom lectures that he describes throughout his book are not only interesting, but educational.

2 comments:

  1. I think your aha about the counterclaim is huge! That is the key in the argument paper or in any argument. Give credence to the other side. I am glad that you enjoyed his work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that students need to be able to view both sides of a problem in order to improve their writing. I also think the four steps that Hillock created are brilliant! Each step is essential for argumentative writing and plays a great role.

    ReplyDelete